After this weekend I'm one step closer to having a real craft room.
Tom & I installed my "wrapping paper centre"
on one of the blank walls above the worktables.
I looked at dozens of pictures online and sketched out different layouts,
until eventually deciding I wanted something very simple and streamlined.
Just two vertical pieces of wood with dowels hung horizontally between.
I didn't want something bulky and overpowering in the room.
Plus I'd probably bump into it all the time.
Tom gets so frustrated with me because I have to physically lay things out
to get a sense of the space, I can't just picture it in my head.
I made him wait while I layed rolls of wrapping paper and ribbon on the floor
to figure out the spacing. Then did it again once the wood was cut.
I probably would have checked a third time if he'd let me.
I arrived at 6 dowels for paper, one for ribbon,
and an extra one at the bottom for tissue paper.
The build was really simple.
Two 38" lengths of 1x3 with cup hooks screwed in at even intervals.
We added a "bump-out" for the larger ribbon rolls
with another small piece of 1x3 at the top of each board.
(I'm supposed to mention - Don't do this at home.
Tom is demonstrating very unsafe power tool handling.)
In retrospect, I think it would have been faster to spraypaint them.
Of course, primer wouldn't have hurt either.
It wasn't until I had the hooks back in that I noticed
the holes on the two boards didn't line up.
Tom had attached one of the bump-outs
to the wrong end of the board.
Maybe he should have laid it all out first instead of visualizing it.
Rather than remove the piece, sand and repaint,
he redrilled the holes and I puttied and painted over the old ones.
We hung it with anchors and screws
(checking with the level multiple times - I'm a safety girl)
and measured the dowels for cutting.
Eventually I'll get around to puttying and painting
over those anchor screws, but not today.
Check out this cool flukey shot - it looks like the hammer is see-through.
Having it all up there makes me realize that I'm not very adventurous
with my ribbon colour choices. I'm going to have to remedy that.
This wasn't my first choice for how to hang the tissue paper,
but I couldn't figure out anything that didn't stick out too far from the wall.
I considered a pant or tie rack with arms that would fold flat
but couldn't find one anywhere.
I'm very happy with it. Everything is tidy and accessible.
And I don't have to worry anymore about finding a bunch of chewed up ribbon
under the spare bed because Little Dog thought it was a new toy.
Oh, I see you Little Dog. I see you.
I'm linking to these great parties!