SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 12, 2011

(More) Homemade Ornaments

Are you ready for another round of ornament-making?  This may be the last one.  Though I do still have 5 unused clear ball ornaments so you never know.

By now you're all probably familiar with my pinecone map ornament.  If not, you can go here for a tutorial.  I made another one except this time I used a smaller styrofoam ball (that last one ended up as a huge ornament!), and birch bark for the leaves.

I used leftover birchbark from my wreaths and mantel and the same leaf pattern as before, but cut it down a bit.  Here is the pattern since several of you have asked for it.


As before, I started by inserting the ribbon loop into the top of the ball and gluing a leaf to the bottom so that nothing was left uncovered.  Working from the bottom, I hot glued each leaf onto the ball working my way around to keep everything level.  Make sure that you glue the leaves right up to the ribbon.  I then added a ribbon bow at the top to finish it off.


Pretty cute, right?  I might even like this one better than the map ornament.

Birch Bark Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

My next ornament (or pair of ornaments) are ribbon-filled glass balls.  I filled one ball with scraps of red and white ribbons - slightly curled with scissors first - and the other ball with olive green and green-silver sparkly ribbon.  I'm totally in love with that sparkly stuff.  The colour is just fantastic.  I added bows to the tops of each ornament (I really like the look).

Ribbon Filled Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

Ribbon Filled Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

I can't stop grinning at that green one.  Seriously, it's ridiculous.

Finally, I was getting a little tired, so I made a simple twine wrapped ball.  This is nothing new, but I like the homemade and rustic look of it.  I just started at the top and hotglued the twine on, circling around and around until I was about halfway down the ball.


Twine Wrapped Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

 I saw one on the web that had scraps of sheet music inside.  That would look really sweet and it would coordinate with my other sheet music ornament.

So there you have it - three more ornaments that you can add to your collection. They were all inexpensive, and besides the time it took to cut out the birch bark leaves, really quick to put together.

Have you tried making any of these ornaments? 
What was your favourite?

~~~~~~~

Linking to these fun parties!

11 comments:

BarbSteadman said...

I'd love to see what you come up with!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you for hosting!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you for featuring me!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you for hosting!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Meg @ Revamp Homegoods said...

Love that birch bark ornament!

Blissful_and_domestic said...

I absolutely LOVE homemade ornaments! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing at my Feature Friday Linky Party!

Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic
http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/

Alyssa said...

Love your ornaments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...