SEARCH THE BLOG

May 1, 2012

Installing Bi-Fold Doors - Foyer Reveal

I am finally ready to show off the work we've done in the front foyer.  If you remember, before we started painting - way back in January - it looked like this:


We painted the walls Benjamin Moore Ranchwood, and I painted the baseboard trim a bright white (still need to paint the trim around the doors).

We also replaced the light fixture, swapping out the plain flush-mount circle for an oil-rubbed bronze pendant.

In trying to clean double-sided tape off the mirror I found that nail polish remover is excellent for giving your fake-wood frame an aged look. Score one for happy accidents!

But the big project, the one that has taken the most time, is replacing the closet's sliding doors with framed in bi-folds.

ranchwood foyer paint bifold doors

I don't know why this took so long. It really wasn't that difficult. I think it just looked like it was going to be so we kept putting it off. Not to mention that I kept changing my mind on whether I wanted thinner louvered doors or thick hollow-core ones. I was leaning towards louvered only because they were already white - the other doors were an off-white that had to be painted. But I finally decided that the extra effort was worth it for a nicer looking closet.

We started by removing the upper and lower tracks for the old doors, and removing the baseboard trim that would be in the way. We were lucky that the bottom track was only glued to the floor so it popped right off. I just realized I haven't cleaned that leftover glue off the floor yet.


The doors were just under 48" across while the opening was 49", and the doors were also about 2" too short, so we had to frame in the opening to make it smaller.


Everything was going along swell and it seemed like this was going to be an easy weekend project until Tom tried to fit the doors in and found that the walls for the closet opening weren't straight.  Like, not even close.  He started knocking out the drywall on the one side and found that the 2x4 used at that end was twisted.  He had to force it in further and then we built the corner back out with drywall mud. Giving it a few days to cure and a second coat, it was a week later when we put the frame back in. But it was straight this time!



We installed new baseboards and trim, touched up the walls, caulked the seams, and gave it two coats of Behr white paint & primer in one. The doors also got two coats of white.

Supervisor approves our work:


We decided on simple nickel door handles - nothing too in-your-face. But still more interesting than the plain wooden knobs that came with the doors.


It's funny how much time we spent deciding exactly where they should go. Of course they would look nicer near the inner edge of each door, but given the nature of how bi-folds work they had to go closer to the center of each door, so that when you pull the door would fold up. Closer to the edge and you would have to do a funny twist and pull that would get annoying really quickly.

So here we are.  I can't believe how much bigger the closet looks.

ranchwood foyer paint bifold doors

How about a little side-by-side?

ranchwood foyer paint bifold doors before and after

ranchwood foyer paint before and after

I'm planning on cutting down the legs on that desk and turning it into a bench with a comfy seat. It would be nice to have somewhere to sit down to put your shoes on. And I'm also considering painting the mirror frame white - even after all of the nail polish remover "sanding" I did.

Some more gratuitous shots:

ranchwood foyer paint bifold doors

ranchwood foyer paint bifold doors

ranchwood foyer paint


This past weekend I also did some more upgrades on the main floor powder room, but that'll have to wait for another day.


~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!

45 comments:

Dwell on Joy said...

I love how the floors now pop against your new wall color! 

Megan said...

It looks fantastic, Barb! I love the color that you chose and your doors look beautiful.  Megan

MJ said...

It looks so clean and fresh now. I love the details.  I'm a huge fan of the bi-fold doors. Way better looking and more functional than the sliding.  Way to go!
I have a small paint project that I never seem to get around to. Why is it that the easiest projects always get put on the back burner?

Fancybelle (Bridgette) said...

Looks awesome, love that gray paint color. Great pics of the process too!! Visiting from Sew Much Ado's WDIW link up. Love your blog! :)

Micki Weinrich Sellers said...

great job! I know all about those project that you start and they just dragggg on forever. I'm hosting a link party with that theme :) finishing those unfinished projects. http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/04/ufo-link-party.html

Colleen said...

Your foyer looks so much better now! Loving the new closet doors and light!!

Marilyn said...

Your new look is so sophisticated!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I put my mind to it and tackled some of those small projects this weekend. Feels so much better!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

Joanne Mudd said...

Entrance looks great Barb!  Good to see Sasha supervising.

2yellowbirdsdecor said...

That looks so pretty! I love the new paint color! Thanks so much for sharing this as well at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

It looks so good! I love the new light fixture too. I really like your idea of turning that table into a bench- very cool!

Ann @ housefinally.blogspot said...

I am in love with the wall color. It really looks great with the white doors and trim.

Linda said...

Hi Barb. Just stopped by . Hello fellow Ontarian. Have a great weekend!

Steph (crafting in the rain) said...

Love the new look--great job!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

Turned out great!  Love the color!  Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party!  Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

Terry Cohoe said...

I love the wall colour.  That is super gorgeous and I think you chose fabulous doors.  Really makes a huge difference.  Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

Rachel said...

I love your new color! The new closet door makes a world of difference.   Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Cheapcraftymama said...

That looks so great!  I would love for you to share this (and any other house projects) at my "May House Par-tay" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Ruth said...

Your foyer looks great with the new wall color and doors. It's absolutely fantastic. Your supervisor looks like he wants to help. LOL
Ruth

Katie goldsworthy said...

Wow! The work was well worth it! It looks awesome!!! I love the color, the light fixture and those closet doors! 

Nice work!
--Katie

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you, I'm very pleased with it!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks for the invite!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Sorry I didn't catch this in time - hope your weekend was excellent! The weather was beautiful!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Jessica Jean said...

Thanks so much for posting on Mauvin' Monday! 

Cheers,
Jessica

Stacey said...

What great improvements!
THanks for sharing and linking up this week!
Stacey of Embracing Change

becolorful said...

Such a fabulous update. I liked the original wall color but then when I saw the new color I had to agree that it looked my current. Nicely done. The doors are such a stylish plus, and a pendant is a much better look here too. How happy you must be. It is such a welcoming space. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful this week.
pam

Verymerryvintagesytle said...

Love the color of your walls--thanks for including the name of it.  Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you so much! We're really enjoying it.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks for hosting!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you for hosting!

Jaime Klebig said...

I love the color and just the whole look for your new space!!!  I am inspired!  Thank you for linking up at Crafty Scrappy Happy!!!
Jaime

amy regis said...

Barb, fantastic job on your makeover! I am featuring you today over at Homehappyhome! Thanks for linking up last week.
Amy

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you so much!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Pams Party said...

The transformation is really striking, and I love the new color.  Thank you so much for sharing on Dare to Share.  

polkadotpretties said...

Great project!!!

Thanking you for linking up to my craft, create and inspire linky party.....

I hope you will stop by and link up another fabulous project, this weeks party is now live.

Claire x

Www. Polkadot-Pretties.blogspot.com

Makinglemonadeblog said...

LOVE that color!  Looks great.  Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...