SEARCH THE BLOG

Jun 10, 2012

"Beachy" Framed Transfer

Oh man! Another week of not getting much done. This new 3 hour commute (1.5 each way) is killing me! And Tom has been really sick since Tuesday. Right now he's having trouble breathing deeply because his chest is so congested. So it's off to the doctor tomorrow. Enough is enough.

I did play around with my freezer paper transfers again today. If you remember, I had terrific success with transferring onto a painter's drop cloth.

This is what I made today.


Before I go any further I should show you my original plan and the total failure that was. I wanted to do a transfer onto burlap but it turns out that the weave was too loose.


You can kind of see the word "beach" but not much else is legible. So I went back to my trusty drop cloth.

I used the same method as before - first using spray adhesive to attach a piece of freezer paper to a plain piece of printer paper (waxy side out).  Then I created a graphic - in this case the phrase, "Life is better at the beach" - flipped it backwards, and printed it out on the freezer paper.  I forgot to mention last time that I used PicMonkey to create the text and to flip it - it's the simplest program I've found so far.


I dampened the drop cloth, placed the print out face down on the cloth and "burnished" the back of the paper with a spoon.  Yes, this time I actually made the trip downstairs to get a spoon instead of using whatever was handy.



I printed the words in a navy blue to give it a nautical feel. Once the cloth was dry I trimmed it to 8x10 and put it in a white frame. You can see that some of the letters bled a little as they dried but I think that makes it look a little more weathered.


I think I'm going to rub some brown stain into the grooves of the frame to age it as well. Right now it's a bit too shiny. We plan on re-doing the basement in beachy colours and this is going to hang there.



Side note - Sasha was completely freaked out by the starfish I used in the picture. I guess it smelled funny to her. She was barking at it and trying to challenge it to a fight. Crazy girl. Everyone knows you can't beat a starfish.

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!

24 comments:

Craftmates said...

I have to try this project and get myself some freezer paper. It's really nice. 

Danni Baird said...

That is very cool!  I haven't tried a transfer yet, but yours looks like an easy one!  Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Delightful said...

This is such a clever idea.  I would love for you to link up to my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/06/live-show-me-what-you-got-linky-party_11.html

Mrs. Delightfulwww.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Shanee said...

Too cute!  Thanks for the tutorial, I need this for my beach tablescape.  Visiting from Adventures of a DIY Mom, thanks for sharing.

Rose :: The Fine Craft Guild said...

really lovely. want to invite you to come share this and participate in our linky party here: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

Kim Tritz said...

This is awesome! I've never had the guts to try the freezer paper transfer concept, but I'm definitely going to have to give it a try after this. I'd rather be on the beach, so this will totally fit my decor! I found your link through the Crafty Soiree link party, and featured this post in my Weekend Find blog the week (http://twotendesigns.blogspot.com/2012/06/weekend-finds-link-party-finds.html)! Thanks for giving me the extra shove to try the transfer lol 


- Kim @ Two Ten Designs

Jennette Wiebe said...

Love how beach print transfer turned out!  I want to try this method sometime soon.  Have a wonderful weekend!

becolorful said...

This DID turn out well. Good to know about the whole not working on burlap thing. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful this week.
p

ps. Hope Tom is feeling better again.

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Looks great and makes me dream of the ocean ;) Even though it makes Sasha scared ;) Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! (And he is, finally.)

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! Hope you have fun with it!

BarbSteadman said...

Oh, you definitely should try it! And thank you for featuring me!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Oh, it's very easy - you should try it!

BarbSteadman said...

Definitely give it a try - there are so many possibilities!

Stacey said...

Adorable art and I love the burlap!
Thanks for linking up this week!Stacey of Embracing Change

Stacey said...

Featured you!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Alexis Lohrke Tanner said...

This is so smart!  I didn't know you could transfer print using freezer paper.  I'm pinning this!  And I'm featuring this tomorrow!

Kim said...

Love it Thanks for linking up, hope to see you again Thursday!
Kim  

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

glad you had some time for fun again. i was just at the beach, but at home life is fun too!  ha ha... gets too hot at the middle of the day at the beach... my 5 cts.. ;0-)

thank you for linking up your wonderful creative projects at our party at http://www.finecraftguild.com

Terry Cohoe said...

I love how this turned out.  Too bad about the burlap but thanks for showing the fail. I love when people keep it real.  :)  Thanks for sharing.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

This turned out great!  I love the shell on the front :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...