SEARCH THE BLOG

Jun 6, 2012

Light Me Up!

After breakfast one Saturday we were wandering around the local Restore. Since we were holding a garage sale the next weekend we weren't really looking for anything in particular. But isn't that when you make the best finds?

At the Restore we found a basket of panels used to make cube storage. 


There were 30 panels, all of the connectors, and even instructions (that I accidentally tore just before I took this picture).


The panels are 14" x 14" each and I thought, wouldn't they make an excellent light tent? I've been asking Tom to make a light tent for me for quite a while - not because I can't make one for myself, but because he has better access to the materials. The panels are white plastic and just thin enough to let a light source through for a diffused look. The price on one panel said $5.00 each.


Per panel? That's crazy. I hid the panel that said $5 and took the basket to the cashier pretending I didn't know how much they were. The cashier said, "I know there was a price on here somewhere...", so I wasn't going to get away with it. I mentioned the "$5 each" and she told me not to be silly, it was the price for the whole basket. Sold! I only wanted 5 panels but I figured I could sell the rest as storage at the yard sale.

Later Tom said I should keep the extra panels in case I needed a larger tent.

They snap together so easily. The panel corners slide into the connectors in two different ways depending on the angle you need. 


And the wire frame is really sturdy. So until we get it together to build (or buy) a better lightbox, I have this one for about 75 cents per cube.

You can use it with both sides up,



A light source on one side for more illumination,




Or with one side removed for stronger light.



It also comes apart easily and you can then make a bigger box if you are photographing something larger.


And if the divisions between panels bothers you, you can hang a piece of fabric or paper over the back to create a smooth background. (I would get rid of the wrinkles first of course!)



I'm so excited to start using it.  After I wash it.  The whole thing is completely filthy.

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!


30 comments:

ChiWei said...

That is really really cool.  I have a Pampers box upstairs waiting to be turned into a light box, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  This looks so much easier, and for $5, you can't go wrong!

Mel Mac said...

Fantastic score!  I tried making one out of cardboard and white tissue paper, pffftt, what a waste of time that was.

I really like that you can make it bigger and easily dismantle it.

BarbSteadman said...

That's what I was going to use - not so good, hunh?

BarbSteadman said...

Definitely easier!

Thriftymssmith said...

Very cool and at such a great deal! I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for those cubes :) New follower too! Have a great day!

Connie said...

Very nice, please link it up with me today at Wow Us Wednesday. Following you on linky followers :)

Claire Jain said...

This is really crafty! Great find at Restore :-)

Just Jaime said...

So awesome! I wonder if they sell something like this at Ikea and I could make my own! Thanks for sharing and great snag =)

Kristin @ Little Corbin Hill said...

What an awesome find :)

Rose :: The Fine Craft Guild said...

so professional. great tips.  want to invite you to come share this and participate in our linky party here: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

becolorful said...

I never would have thought of this. I'm not that knowledgable about photography ... yet. :D but I pinned this to my photo Pinterest board for future reference. Thanks for sharing.
p

Ginger Knox said...

Neat find AND idea. Thanks for sharing. Ginger

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I could use something like this! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina

Amanda said...

Great idea! I would never have thought of using something like this. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you for hosting!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

I'm just learning too, but every little bit helps!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

I bet they do! Any thin material would do.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Stacey said...

Very clever!
I like this idea!
Thanks for linking up this week!Stacey of Embracing Change

Susannah said...

Great idea.  I need to make one desperately!

Kadie Arrington said...

You are one luck girl!!  This looks like an awsome light box!  Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

What a great find!  Very creative to use the panels for a light box. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! You know, I saw them on sale this week at the storage/organization store for $50!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you, I sure felt lucky!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...