SEARCH THE BLOG

Jun 28, 2012

Oh Canada!

We're gearing up for the Canada Day long weekend around here. Basically we'll be doing projects around the house like any other weekend, but the dogs will be showing their national pride gosh darn it!

I stopped by the dollar store the other night to see what kind of dog-friendly (i.e. not easily destroyed) costuming I could find. One of the things I found was this lanyard for keys or an id pass that had Canadian flags on it. 


What caught my eye was the quick-release buckle. Just like a dog collar. 


My plan was to cut one side of the longer loop, feed it through the other buckle (after removing everything attached to it) and then sew it back up.

I used the dogs' current collars to measure the length at which it should fold through the end. That's not the spot I cut it at, it just gave me a reference point to make sure it wasn't too short. 


I fed the strap through and then pinned it in place. 


I used my sewing machine and sewed back and forth several times. 


I ended up sewing three different lines to give it some strength. 


I then took two metal loops from some unused lamp chain and added them as rings for dog tags. 


Here's Little Dog showing hers off. She was much better at having her picture taken this time. 

  

Chloe acted the petulant teenager and gave me the eye-roll.


She then got distracted by a Febreezed carpet. Or else she has narcolepsy.


I also bought some Canadian flag headbands (hairbands?) for them to wear. They sit really far back because we have to put any bands behind their ears or they just paw them off. Again Sasha was so well behaved. I'm suspicious.


After a round of photos I realized that the lanyards had come with much better rings (and a clip) for attaching tags. So I removed the chain loops and strung the other ones. That looks much cleaner and prettier!




But then no one wanted their picture taken.

I got this:


And this:


We are not amused.



Happy Canada Day to everyone celebrating this weekend! 

  source


~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!

15 comments:

Courtenay H said...

Fun idea! We're headed to the dollar store tomorrow to pick up some Canada Day stuff. My cat had better watch out now!

Claire @ alittlesomething said...

What a great way to create some fun, inexpensive dog collars for Canada's birthday!

Your photos and accompanying commentary actually made me laugh out loud! I love the narcolepsy shot :)  Gotta love our animals and their unique personalities!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Your dogs are sooooo cute! And quite fashionable now too.
Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

DogsMom said...

Happy Canada Day!  I had to share this with friends.

Darcie Cash said...

Great idea!!  LOVE your dogs :)

Terry Cohoe said...

Bah ha ha.  Those after photos are hilarious.  I always get this sad expression like I'm abusing them or something.  Love the collars and Happy Canada Day.  Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

You're a STAR today over at I Gotta Create! Your puppies are so sweet! Thanks so much for linking up.

<3 Christina
http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/07/wildly-original-round-up-party-features.html

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Christina!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Awww, thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Well, fashion is important! :-)

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

So what did you end up with?

Meg said...

Your pups are adorable!  I just found your blog, can't wait to read more!

BarbSteadman said...

Awww, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...