SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 10, 2012

Christmas Mantel with Nature...and Glitter

We are slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y getting the house decorated for Christmas.  I have so many ideas and not enough time to finish them all. And truthfully, I take a lot of breaks. I'm afraid that some of the things I started - like my poor papier mâché reindeer - aren't going to be ready for this Christmas. But I have a huge head start on next year, right?

One area I did finish was the fireplace mantel. I really love it. The colour scheme for the whole room this year was kept simple with only silver, gold, white, & blue. I'll admit I stole this idea from Jessica at Decor Adventures. I did tell her I was going to steal it though, so I don't feel as guilty. It's too beautiful an idea not to emulate.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

I started by glitterizing some large pinecones. The first thing you'll want to do is apply glue to the tips of the pinecone with an artist's brush. I think you could also use spray adhesive but I'm not sure if it would dry too quickly.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

I then used my bottle of white glitter and shook it all over the pinecone. You'll want to have a plate or paper under the pinecone to catch all of the excess.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

Once it's dry, shake off all the excess glitter onto the plate. Isn't that pretty? It looks like sugar.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

I bought some small flowerpots from the dollar store and painted them gold and silver. The pots came with moss and a flower already in it - the moss made a great base for the pinecone to sit on, but I just tossed the flower. I used regular acrylic paint on the pots and it took several coats, but I think I ended up with a smoother finish than I would have if I'd used spray paint. Plus I didn't have gold or silver spray paint in the house, so that probably would have slowed me down a bit. :-)

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

Once everything was dry, I arranged the pots on the mantel and wove some battery operated lights between them. I'm really digging the battery-operated lights this year. So much nicer than having extension cords running all over the place. I then tucked some greenery between the pots and all around the lights - harvested from the forest the day we collected branches for the wall tree.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

I also added some silver and white star-shaped, glitter-covered ornaments between the pots. I think they look a bit like starfish, and you know how I like to add a little beach to everything.

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

And that's the mantel. 

But what about above the mantel? Tom and I built this wall hanging - for lack of a better word - for about $10 - decorations included.

Scrap wood wall hanging - stockings - Christmas - Turtles and Tails blog

We cut pieces of 1x4 to 26" lengths, and then attached them to each other in a staggered pattern with a piece of plywood across the back. I then used my favourite stain + watered-down paint method of aging wood to look like barn boards. Lastly, I attached some artificial greenery, decorations, and some miniature stockings.


I strung the stockings on some heavy twine and then stapled the twine to the board. I added some smaller pinecones to the stockings so they looked a little full and to bring in more nature. Everything is stapled on so it can be removed easily and changed up for another season if we want.

I love this so much. I can't help but smile at it every time I walk in the room.

Here they are all together. So sweet and so simple. 

Christmas mantel - glitter pinecones & wooden wall hanging - Turtles and Tails blog


I'm glad to have this part done. Tonight we were working on decorating the front porch, but it was way too dark for pictures. And the tree is done (I think). I keep finding more ornaments to add. 

How much decorating do you do?

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog

glitter pinecones with painted flower pots - Turtles and Tails blog






~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!




19 comments:

Crystelle Boutique said...

What a terrific mantle... I love everything about it! And you save lots of $! But you went elaborate on style....

Good for you!

hugs x

Crystelle

http://www.crystelleboutique.com

K @ Shift Ctrl Art said...

What a sweet project. I love glitter in December. You will always find me with a speck of glitter on my cheeks all through December :) - K @ http://shiftctrlart.com

denyse loar said...

Hi Barb! I just love everything about your mantle. Don't you just love glitter, we will be finding it around my house for the next year...LOL

I'm having a FACEBOOK social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your facebook.

http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/facebook-social-hop.html



Have a crazy beautiful week!
Denyse@ Crazy Beautiful Life

Vicky from Mess For Less said...

I have seen glitter pinecones before, but never displayed in such a pretty way!

I Gotta Try That said...

This is so pretty Barb! I love little lights and glitter. Thanks for sharing at "I Gotta Try That"
Marcie

cassie said...

so pretty! i love the simplicity and natural elements.

Gina said...

I love the little pots! They remind me of some I made with my kids years ago! Pine cones in little pots = adorable. Love your mantel!

Donna Wilkes said...

The simplicity of the mantel with the pine cones and the painted pots makes a big statement.

Michelle said...

Cute idea. Who doesn't love silver and gold?

Shannon said...

LOVE the pinecones in the small pots! So clever! Thanks for linking up to the weekly creative :)
Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

the perfect mix of nature and glitter!! thank you so much for linking up to our party!!

Shannon said...

Featuring you today :) Have a great week!

http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-weekly-creative-13.html



Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

Hanna Villarrubia said...

WOW. Great project! love it. I think your blog is great too. New Follower Here:) I'm Hanna and you can find me anytime at www.bouffeebamabini.blogspot.com HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

xoxoxo Hanna

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Shannon!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...