SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 17, 2012

Lacy Pinecone Ornament

Can I drop one more Christmas craft on ya? Am I really giving you a choice?

This Christmas tree ornament idea has been sitting on my Pinterest board for a while, and with only 8 days left until Christmas it was time to get on it!

It's a pinecone ornament - seriously, I have a pinecone sickness - with "leaves" made of lace edging.

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

Go to Bliss Bloom Blog to see the inspiration. I wish I could photograph mine so beautifully.

I made this ornament the same way as my pinecone map ornament. You'll start with a round or egg-shaped form. Mine is a papier-maché egg that I think I bought at a Restore or at Goodwill. I couldn't find styrofoam eggs anywhere and then I stumbled across these ones already in my stash. Doesn't it kind of look like an avocado pit?


The lace edging was just a small package from Walmart. I did buy two, and stained one of them with tea, but I didn't really like the look compared with the clean whiteness of the undyed lace.


I took the lace edging and cut it up into little wedge-shaped pieces. I found that I  had to make them pretty small - my first attempt yielded a huge pinecone and the leaves all turned outwards.


I used hot glue to attach the leaves to the egg, but you could use straight pins like Melanie did, or you could use white school glue if you have more patience than I do. Start by gluing a small round piece to the very bottom so that the form isn't visible through the leaves. Then one by one, attach the leaves in an overlapping pattern all the way to the top.

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

It's your choice whether you attach the ribbon before or after you glue on the leaves. I chose afterwards. I glued some green ribbon to the very top, and then glued a little collar of ribbon around the base of the loop to help it stand upright.

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog


I also added a drop of glue underneath any leaf that was turned upwards.

I love these easy crafts. Start to finish it didn't take more than an hour to complete. And the lace adds the perfect amount of vintage that I was going for on the tree this year.

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog

Lace Pinecone Ornament - Turtles and Tails blog


~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's awesome in favor of me to have a web site, which is helpful for my experience. thanks admin
My website - best work from home jobs for moms

kreyna said...

Oh, I love this! So so cute and clever!
Karen

DianaRambles said...

Just beautiful!

Debi Bolocofsky said...

I love this. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.

http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/6-crafts-and-recipes-and-wednesdays.html

Debi @ Adorned From Above

Shannon said...

Love it!!! This is so pretty :)
Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

Mom On Timeout said...

So beautiful! You did a wonderful job :) Pinning! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Debi!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...