SEARCH THE BLOG

Mar 4, 2013

Master Bedroom Before and After



I told a little fib last week. Remember when I said I didn't want to show the master bedroom off because it wasn't decorated yet? Well that was only partially true. The other reason was because I didn't like the paint colour at all. It was too dark, and with the cherry dresser and bed frame, it looked like a man cave.

So I repainted it of course. With my trusty assistant Tom, I got that room repainted and decorated - and I didn't even need a long weekend to do it this time.

Let's get right to it, shall we? This is the new master bedroom:


Do you remember what it looked like before? I'm embarrassed to even repost these pictures. The room was yellow, with a faux plaster finish on the top half of the wall (and a dirty, brown glaze on that).



Not a fun place to hang out in. Just go in and close your eyes, you don't want to see.

We painted it Benjamin Moore Arctic Seal the first time. Truly a gorgeous colour, but not right for this room.  Our new colour is Stormy Monday, also by Benjamin Moore. Have I professed my love for Benjamin Moore paints yet? I was always hesitant to buy their paint because they are more expensive than Home Depot or Canadian Tire, but you can't argue with the quality. After using BM in the living room and kitchen I switched back to Behr for other rooms. And that's when I really noticed the difference. We always do two coats just to be safe, but I've heard of people only needing one. Just look how thick this paint is:


Here is the colour difference:


And on the wall:


Much better. We got it all painted, put everything back in place, and then accessorized in white, grey, and orange. Tom is the one who decided on orange. It's a nice change from the usual yellow or green that you see so often with grey. We were in Homesense, about to walk down the pillow aisle, and I told Tom I didn't know what colours to use with the grey. He suggested orange, and then I found these no more than two minutes later.


Orange, white, and grey. Meant.To.Be. The covers are removable and the pillows are filled with feathers, so they're nice and squishy.

We bought some photos of dandelion "fluff" at Ikea specifically for the room. The frames are a bit off white so I'm going to spray paint them later, but they work for now.


When we were in Pennsylvania last summer I bought an elephant carving so it made it's way into the room too. I added my elephant poop ornament - yep, it's made from real elephant droppings - and he looks so happy to be hanging out with the big kids. Plus he adds a nice bit of colour on the other side of the room.


The other fun accessory was a wooden carving we bought in the Dominican Republic. We rode horses up a huge hill, then hiked down the other side (in rubber boots) to get to El Limon waterfall. There was a woman selling wooden carvings beside the waterfall, and I couldn't turn down a carving of a dog. He's guarding Tom's side of the bed though.


We also raised the curtain rod up higher to give the room more visual height, and swapped out the navy blue curtains for grey silk ones that we already had. I have no idea why that mirror looks so short - it's taller than I am. Maybe we do have higher ceilings.  :-)


I love how warm and cozy the room feels now. It's kind of like a hotel room I think, but in the best possible way. Those globe lights are from Ikea, and the orange candles are my favourite cinnamon pecan swirl.


I have new bedding - sheets, pillows, and duvet - that I've been saving until it was finished. I can't wait to sleep in there. It's true, we've been sleeping in the spare room until I could get some daylight pictures of this room. The dogs are pretty confused. I have the doorway blocked off and Chloe keeps walking up to the gate and staring longingly at the bed. Poor thing. Crazy blogger rules!

All that's left is to paint the doors - they're a terrible off-white - and buy a new light fixture. And find something to hang on the wall facing the bed.


I'm thinking a hand painted sign. 

"You are my sunshine"? 

"Don't worry, be happy"? 

"Be quiet and go to sleep, Barb"?





~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!







66 comments:

Deborah said...

What a transformation! It looks amazing!

Jessica Ghigliotti said...

How lovely! Very nice color, and I love the way the black and white photos pop against the new walls. Well done!
Happy 'making the world cuter' Monday!

Angela@CreativeBlossoming.com said...

This is such a great color scheme! I probably would've liked the darker gray, but I can see where it could feel dark. The new gray is a perfect match with the orange too. Great job!

emily said...

WOw, what a difference! I really love all the little details you've added! I popped over from Project Inspire... I host a Tasteful Tuesday Party that I would love for you to join! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/03/tasteful-tuesday-link-party-and-features.html

Katie Adams said...

I love your room! I love that you went mostly gray with splashes of color. It looks great!

rhiannon said...

gorgeous. love that calming grey colour. perfect in the bedroom.

jamiekreyv said...

Such an amazing transformation! Love the pops of orange!

Andrea said...

Looks good. My nursery is gray with pops of orange too.

Carissa Rasmussen said...

you could have left everything the same and just painted the walls because BM is THAT GOOD! plus in gray it's like perrrfect! love it

Recreate and decorate said...

You did a great job. What a great gray color too!

Jo MyGosh said...

Stopping by from Pintastic Tuesday! I just pinned this-- I'm soon getting married and have to start thinking about decorating our bedroom. This has some great ideas I think I'll be stealing... er... borrowing. :-)

Julia Canup Kendrick said...

I love your new bedroom! It is so nice and the colors are relaxing! I have plans to do mine soon but I am just not sure what I want to do yet. Thanks for sharing! I am pinning this! Julia

Jenny Lynn said...

Glad you were brave enough to show the before. The room looks wonderful now. I really like the color on the walls.

Kendra Pahukoa said...

looks beautiful, very modern and fresh. happy to be your newest follower-found you via rae guns link up. hope you have a great day!
www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

jamie said...

so beautiful!!! love the pop of orange!

Christina @ Floridays Mom said...

Loving the new paint color and those pops of orange are killer. The room looks so comfy.

Susan D said...

It is a beautiful room! I think it would be cool if you painted the doors the Arctic Seal color since I am sure you have some left!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Looks so beautiful! Love the wall color.

Melissa @ KeepCalmandDecora said...

I love the before and after! The pops of orange with the gray really make the room come to life.

Kathy Gossen said...

Wow! Beautiful makeover. I'd love to have you link this to Titus 2 Tuesday this week on Cornerstone Confessions.. I hope to see you there.

Kathy

Tanya said...

Very pretty! I especially like the orange pillows and black and white pictures! It inspires me to redo my bedroom.

Leslie said...

Love the makeover. found you on Crafty Thursday obsessions. Thanks for sharing.

Abby said...

What a gorgeous, cozy space! I found you at Feathered Nest Friday--thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Barb Hoyer said...

It looks beautiful! The pop of orange really helps the room.

tammy said...

Very Cozy! The Arctic seal would look awesome on furniture! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

kelly thompson said...

this looks so cpmfortable!

Suzanne W. said...

Wow! What a transformation! Love that color!

roeshel said...

Beautiful transformation. I love your new colors!

Kaysi said...

What a great transformation!! I'm featuring this tonight MMM

BeColorful said...

loved it and had to feature it tonight on BeColorful. Thanks for partying along. :D
p

Tanya Runkle said...

Your transformation is so pretty Barb, I love the colors together too :)


xo, Tanya

twelveOeight

Judy said...

Your master bedroom came out beautiful. I will be featuring it tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Kim~madeinaday said...

Your makeover came out awesome! thanks so much for sharing last week on Made in a Day!
Kim

Mom On Timeout said...

Oh my goodness it's gorgeous! So sophisticated! Featuring tonight :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Hani Shabbir said...

Wow.. What a transformation.. Love the cute bright details with gray..

Unknown said...

Love the new bedroom! Makes me want to paint something this weekend, lol!

Thanks for linking up last weekend @The Weekend re-Treat!

I've featured your link at this weekends link party that just went live if you want to come over and check it out :)

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Judy!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Tanya!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Kaysi!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I love to hang out there now.

BarbSteadman said...

The arctic seal IS a pretty colour. Just in small doses though! :-)

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

I'm glad! Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Kathy!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Nice to meet you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! It did take a long time to decide but I'm glad I finally did.

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! Borrow away!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! I took a peek at yours - love the stripes (and the giraffe!)

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Emily!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks for linking up this post to The Best Blog Recipe’s
Weekend re-Treat #7!

Wanted to stop by and pin your image to My Link Parties
Craft/DIY & Recipe Boards while I was here.

Hope to see you link up again at the party this weekend!

Shauna
http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/
http://ready2loseweight.blogspot.com/

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks, Shauna!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Completely transformed - absolutely adore the orange, so cool!

I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing on bedrooms this week, Alice x

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...