SEARCH THE BLOG

Nov 21, 2013

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

I was feeling crafty this week and made a fun little Christmas tree ornament. My craft room has been so lonely lately. I spent all last week painting the basement, and kept my laptop in the kitchen for when I needed a break. I'm not sure I even went in the room except to dump off some bits and pieces for a DIY Christmas gift I have in mind.

When Tom rebuilt his parents' side porch and installed the wheelchair lift in July, I scurried around his work area picking up little bitty pieces of wood in various sizes. Stuff that Tom wanted to sweep up and throw away. I stuck the pieces in a Ziploc bag and put it in a drawer when I got home. This week I pulled the bag out to make my ornament.

You know I'm no stranger to offbeat trees. Remember the book tree? And the wall tree?

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

I didn't sand any of the pieces, I just drilled a hole in the centre of each one. I wanted it to look rough and rustic - imperfect, like a real tree. I also used a hammer and chisel to resize a few pieces since some were nearly the same length and I needed them to be graduated sizes.

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

I broke out my craft paint and gave the "branches" two coats of green (leaf green with a little black mixed in) while the "trunk" got two coats of brown.

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Once they had dried, I strung the pieces together with twine. To make it easier to thread the pieces, wrap a piece of scotch tape around the end of the twine, sort of like a shoelace. I tied a knot between each wooden piece, to give it a bit of lift and to show off individual branches.

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Finally, I added a pearl bead for a tree topper and fashioned a loop so that it could be hung. Start to finish, it took less than an hour to put together.

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

It's exactly what I was going for. I like to imagine it's something you might find at Ikea (though they'd probably sand theirs a bit). Besides being an ornament, I think it'd make a sweet little decoration on a gift as well. I'm keeping this one though - I like it too much to give away.

If you'd like to see some other ornaments I've made, check them out here and here.

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament

Scrap Wood Christmas Tree Ornament





8 comments:

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

I love this! I'd love for you to add it to our linky party @ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/2013/11/friday-follow-along-linky-party-tgif.html

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you for the invite!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

This turned out so cute! And I loved that you didn't need to sand it. :-) I'm featuring this tonight at my link party and pinning!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you for posting your wooden tree ornament, I love it! I featured it on my top ten picks this week. Have a great Thanksgiving, Mary

Claire Justine said...

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays, love this :)
Featuring and pinning this week at the blog hop,,,

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks, Alexis!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks for featuring me, Mary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...